2021 lockdown resources
We are pleased to be able to inform you that our National Moderator has again issued a judgment that the standard of commercial competency does not need to be met for specified non-BCATS unit standards for students learning via distance during the Covid-19 lockdown. During this period only, students can work through BCITO-specified carpentry theory standards.
Student resources for 12998 (DKO carpentry hand tools), 13000 (DKO power tools), and 13002 (DKO timber) are available for those who have their Level 3 BCATS work diaries and associated documentation up to date.
The student resource is a PDF and the worksheets are Word templates that need to be downloaded and saved with the unit standard and student’s name.
The lockdown resources, including model answers, are also on myBCITO. The worksheets have been converted to ‘quizzes’ that students can complete on line and that you can therefore also mark on line.
The non-BCATS standards are:
- only to be used during 2021 Level 4 and 3 lockdown periods
- only to be used when students are not able to attend class for an extended period of more than two weeks, excluding term breaks
- not to be used by those not already enrolled in a Level 3 BCATS programme
- only to be undertaken by students that can contextualise the learning by referring back to their work on their Level 3 BCATS project to date.
- only to be assessed as achieved after in-depth oral questioning to ensure proper understanding of the written answers on worksheets.
Consent to assess and reporting results
Once completed, the credits will be reported to NZQA by the BCITO. This is regardless of whether or not your school/organisation already has consent to assess them. BCITO will need to ensure:
- student’s worksheets have been marked
- reassessment is recorded
- verbal discussion has taken place between the assessor and the student, to ensure the students understands the learning outcomes.
There is an attestation for teachers/tutors to complete on the last page of each assessment.
We have included a Credit Achievement form on the mybcito.nz site. Once the student has completed all the theory assessments you are offering, please complete one Credit Achievement form per student and email it to [email protected].
On receipt of the credit achievement form, BCITO Quality Assurance team members may choose to request electronic samples of assessment for the purpose of moderation. Credit may not be awarded until such time as the BCITO Quality Assurance team are satisfied assessment is justified.