Welcome to Level 3 BCATS!!
Until recently, the only building and construction-related unit standards and qualifications designed for secondary schools have been at Levels 1 and 2, with some Level 3 unit standards (intended for those undertaking apprenticeships) available for those doing Gateway.
There are now eight Level 3 BCATS unit standards listed on the NZQF. The Level 3 BCATS unit standards are:
· Flexible enough so that teachers/students can select their own projects.
· Able to be achieved by undertaking projects in any of BCITO’s trades.
· Able to be achieved in school workshops, training establishments, outdoor areas, and/or in the workplace during industry placements (‘work experience’).
· Explicit that attaining commercial competence is not a requirement.
· Suitable for students participating in Build-Ability competitions or in 3+2, Gateway, or Youth Guarantee programmes.
· Responsive to the reality that some students will likely be enrolled for a full school year, whereas others may be able to engage in BCATS for only part of it.
The unit standards can be found through searching on http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/framework/search/index.do. They are:
- US 29684 - Undertake a Stage 3 BCATS project (12 credits)
- US 29677 - Follow safe workplace practices, and contribute to a health and safety culture, in a BCATS environment (2 credits)
- US 29678 - Demonstrate knowledge of, select, and use materials for a Stage 3 BCATS project (4 credits)
- US 29679 - Develop and use BCATS project documentation for a Stage 3 BCATS project (8 credits)
- US 29680 - Communicate and work collaboratively in a Stage 3 BCATS project (5 credits)
- US 29681 - Measure and calculate for a Stage 3 BCATS project (3 credits)
- US 29682 - Select, use, and maintain tools, equipment and machinery for a Stage 3 BCATS project (4 credits)
- US 29683 - Incorporate other building, construction and allied trades into a Stage 3 BCATS project schedule (2 credits)